Friday, March 28, 2008

Dark Chocolate Cranberry Pecan Blondies


I came home after lunch and had a "craving" to bake. I was completely out of butter so I ran quickly to Kowalski's to pick up some ingredients. On the way I was trying to think of what to make and decided to try out a recipe from Baking Bites that I saw awhile ago for Dark Chocolate Cranberry Blondies.

I made some modifications to the recipe:
  • Instead of butter I used Smart Balance Spread (I've never used this product before but thought I'd give it a try)
  • I didn't have any dark chocolate covered cranberries so instead I used semi-sweet chocolate chips and dried cranberries
  • I also added white chocolate chips, pecans, and coconut to the batter
  • I baked the bars for about 45 minutes

I love baking, but I especially like baking for others. I am going to give these bars to my boyfriend's family because his mom has been dying to try these out ever since I told her about them. I will for sure have to try one of these bars just to make sure they taste okay, but of course, I already licked the bowl, spatula, beaters, and just about everything else with leftover dough and let me tell you, they are delicious ;)

While these bars were great, they have a more cake-like texture rather than a chewy dense one. I happen to prefer the latter so I will be testing out another similar recipe soon.

No comments: