Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Cherry filled Morning, Veggie filled Evening

The first half of my day was filled with cherries. The swiss oats I had for breakfast contained black cherry yogurt. And my lunch was very similar to breakfast. I asked myself what it was that I was craving and this is what I came up with. A bowl of fresh cherries, black cherry soy yogurt, and Kashi Mountain Medley granola (contains dried cherries!). 


This light, cool lunch was just what I was craving in the hot sun. I had to reschedule my training session for tomorrow because of car problems. So I sat outside for 3.5 hours so I could finish the book I was reading. The book I finished, Baby Proof, took me a few months to get through because the first half was kind of boring. Well, the second half picked up and I couldn't set the book down. Now my back and arms are a light shade of red! 

I came in and showered to get ready for work. I started to get hungry around 4, so I made a big salad with grilled veggies to hold me over until dinner.


My sister and I got to work together tonight, so it was fun. Earlier today I made a big batch of quinoa, cooked in vegetable broth, and mixed in grilled veggies, chickpeas, and raw cashews. Since the grilled veggies had a lot of flavor from the marinade, I skipped a dressing. I packed 2 servings for my sister and I to have for dinner.


This dinner was perfect! Sitting in the fridge all day let all of the flavors blend together. I love one bowl meals because they are so satisfying to me with all of the different textures. 

I made a little "apple pie" for dessert while still at work. I love the apples we use for our caramel apple crepes. The apples are cooked with brown sugar, cinnamon, butter, lemon juice, apple cider, and a little bit of flour. They are so delicious and comforting. I especially like to have this dessert during the cold winter nights. Tonight I filled a little cup with the cooked apples, added a little caramel and warmed it up in the microwave. Then I topped the apples with crushed graham crackers. 


I'm about to turn the lights off and go to bed since I have to be up at 5 tomorrow. I am working the opening shift so the good news is I'll be done by 11 am. Night!

8 comments:

Ashley said...

what a cute little dessert- just wondering, are you done with your cleanse? How'd it go/how's it going? I've heard a lot about it since you've mentioned it, but I still know I couldn't do it lol

Anonymous said...

That's such a great idea for a one-dish meal!!! Yum - and so healthy!!! I love one dish meals too!

And yum....that apple "dessert" sounds delish!

I hear ya on the book...I've been reading "Souvenir" that Jenna read. I cannot put it down! I'm obsessed with it - I love that feeling with a good book!

Anonymous said...

Monica- your cherry filled meal looks awesome.

And the quinoa sounds absolutely delicious. Your meals are always so creative and healthy!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

My days are ALWAYS filled with cherries, haha - looks delish!

How nice that you and your sister got to work together!

Sarah @ See Sarah Eat said...

Hey Monica! What brand is your black cherry soy yogurt? I just got into soy yogurt and I love trying all the different flavors, that was one I had not seen before.

Thanks! Sarah

Anonymous said...

That little baked apple dish sounds amazing and looks like just the perfect size. YUM!

Monica said...

Ashley- I am still sort of doing the cleanse- but not as strictly as before. I felt so great when I stuck to it, but it's just not a realistic option for me right now. It requires a lot of planning and preparation...it's difficult too since the summer is filled with celebrations. You will be seeing me eat a lot of vegan food though because it makes me feel good!

Melissa- I love reading! I'm known as a bookworm in my fam :)

Anna- why thank you for that nice compliment!

VG- I am really loving cherries right now- I need to buy more!

Sarah- I've been buying Silk brand soy yogurt. So far, I've liked all of the flavors I've tried!

Kristie- It was the perfect size. I love dessert and like to end my dinners with a little something sweet. This was a great portion- big enough to be satisfying, yet small enough that it didn't put me over the top!

Becca said...

The caramel apples sound yummy! I love all your cherry dishes, its such a great fruit! Just too darn expensive fresh!