Thursday, May 22, 2008

Granola Oatmeal

Good Morning! We are one day closer to the long weekend. Yesterday, I found out my cousin, who I'm very close to, is flying into the cities on Saturday. She is staying until Tuesday night. I am so excited to see her. It's going to be a fun girl's weekend since my dad and sister are flying to Denver for a soccer tourney. It'll be just my mom, cousin, and I.

My appetite isn't quite back this morning. I did wake up hungry due to my small dinner last night, but I didn't feel like eating. This never happens! I obviously needed to eat something so I made a small bowl of oats & granola. I've been craving granola the last few days but we don't have any in the house. I bought thick cut rolled oats at the store so I decided to try homemade granola. My Vanilla Almond Coconut Oatmeal was based on a few recipes I found.

Vanilla Almond Coconut Granola Oats


1/4 cup oats
1/2 cup vanilla almond milk
1/2 banana
cinnamon
fresh strawberries
1/4 cup Vanilla Almond Coconut Granola

I cooked the oats with the almond milk, cinnamon, and banana on the stove top. (FYI, thick cut oats take longer to cook so it's best to cook them on the stove. I used the microwave and it exploded so I switched to the stove top method.) Sliced strawberries, granola, and a little extra coconut garnished the top.

I loved the combination of textures: creamy banana oatmeal, cool strawberries, and crunchy yet chewy granola. I think after this my appetite is starting to return!

Have a great morning! I'll be working on my class and then be back for a late lunch post after yoga.

9 comments:

Becca said...

Its weird how our appetite can change somedays. Yesterday I definitely was not feeling as hungry as usual, but as soon as I started to eat, I didn't want to stop...

I'm sure it will be back to normal soon enough! If your like me, after yoga!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm jealous - I'm never not hungry :)

Your breakfast looks wonderful!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

How exciting that your cousin will be staying with you for a few days!

Unfortunately, I'M having an appetite-off day today as well :0( Hopefully we'll gain our appetites back soon!! At least you managed to enjoy a bowl of Vanilla-Almond-Coconut granola/oats (which looks FANTASTIC!!).

Happy Thursday!

Anonymous said...

I think I may have stolen your appetite by looking at that picture of your breakfast - sorry, I'm a thief ;o)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the fig dressing recipe. What does white balsamic vinegar taste like compared to the normal dark one?

Also, do you think you could post your Italian one...that's my favorite type!

Anonymous said...

That's weird about your appetite! hopefully you are not getting sick :(

Since you are a student and were a student, do you have any tips for not needing something in your mouth constantly while studying. I know tea is good, but I don't always want a hot drink (or a drink at all). I hate that I always seem to need gum or lifesavers, etc. Any tips? Thanks!

Ashley said...

I have the same problem as Kayla about chewing while I'm studying, do you have that too? I always need gum or something it seems like so I can concentrate or beat boredom. I think it's really cool that you're doing nutrition classes because I want to be a nutritionist too, I just haven't gotten into the major classes yet. Do you find it fun? I know I hated Chem but once they start talking about food and your body I think it'd be interesting and to calculate your own food/calorie intake.

Monica said...

Becca- As soon as I posted this morning, I got really hungry. And I was starving after yoga!

Melissa- haha it doesn't happen very often!

VG- Oh no! I hope your appetite returned. Mine did earlier, but now it went away again. I hope you had a lovely thursday as well!

Jenn- haha when i saw your pancakes balls this morning, my appetite returned!

Lauren- white balsamic tastes like regular balsamic but it's lighter both in taste and body. the fig infused white balsamic is the first time i've tried it. italian dressing is my favorite too, i'll work on posting the recipe.

Kayla & Ashley- lately, I don't need to eat anything while I study. But when I was in college, I definitely did. Tea is great and so is coffee, but when i need a crunch i love snacking on apples, baby carrots, natural popcorn (no butter), and pretzel crisps. If I don't want to eat anything- minty or cinnamon gum is the way to go. Brushing my teeth works wonders for me too! Honestly, I think it helps if you are studying something thats interesting. If I am bored, I'm more likely to want to eat. I hope this helps!

I just started taking nutrition specific classes. It wasn't until I graduated from college that I realized I wanted to become an RD. I love my introductory nutrition class, it is so interesting! I'm sure the more advanced chem classes won't be as fun but I think I'll be able to manage them knowing I need them for my career. I love calculating nutrition information for everthing! It's so fun. Wow, that sounds so nerdy ;)

Ashley said...

haha, I had to laugh out loud because I really do like calculating the nutrition facts too! It's nerdy, but so interesting. I'm glad I'm not just a freak or something. lol. That's so cool that you are going to be an RD though, good luck!