Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Fresh Lunch and A New Find

Today is going by kind of slow. The phone rings nonstop. This temporary job reinforces how much I dislike corporate office jobs. I cannot be sitting around all day. My body needs activity.

I got hungry, more likely bored, around noon so I had an orange. I always forget how much I like citrus fruit. They aren't ever my first choice, mainly because they tend to be messy to eat and therefore not the easiest to eat outside the kitchen. But I'm glad I threw one in my purse this morning.


Fortunately, I had a chance to "escape" for lunch. I was planning on a mediterranean veggie sandwich/black bean soup combo from Panera, but I realized I was craving a big, fresh salad. I haven't had a salad in the last couple of days so I went to Byerly's salad bar again.
  • Green base: romaine and baby spring mix
  • Shredded carrots
  • Cucumbers
  • Green Peppers
  • Cauliflower & Broccoli
  • Grape Tomatoes
  • Black & Kidney beans
  • Cashews (these made the salad)
  • Red Wine Vinegar + Olive Oil
This salad satisfied my craving. When I mixed the salad up, all of the good stuff went to the bottom of the container. I definitely enjoyed the bottom of the salad more ;)



Most of the time, my drink of choice is water. Coffee, unsweetened tea, and wine are really the only other things I drink on a regular basis. Sometimes, though, I want to drink something else. Most of the bottled beverage choices are too sweet, loaded with junk, or taste too artificial. But today I tried Honest Ade Cranberry Lemonade.




This stuff really tastes like freshly squeezed lemonade with just the right amount of sweetness. The whole bottle was 100 calories, so not bad at all for an all-natural bottled beverage. I'll have to remember this in the summer!

Just a few more hours left today. I'm already excited for dinner tonight. I'm trying out a recipe that looks amazing. Hint: I found it on 101 Cookbooks.

5 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I am CONSTANTLY fidgeting, moving, etc., all day long; so having to be inactive at an office job must be pure torture!

I absolutely LOVE Heidi's recipes, on the 101 Recipes website - can't wait to see what you make!

Anonymous said...

Hi Monica! Thanks for reading my blog - I added you to my blogroll now too, can't wait to read it! :)

Anonymous said...

P.S. I'm from the Twin Cities! I grew up in Eden Prairie :)

Cassie said...

Haha it's nice to know I am not the only one you feels this way about their corporate job! The feeling of being tied down to your desk with little activity all day is def one reason I decided to switch careers.. so I feel your pain... but on the brighter side your food looks yummy!

Monica said...

Veggiegirl- i'm officially in love with Heidi's recipes too!

Jenn- thanks for the add. that's awesome! I live in Woodbury.

Cassie- that's awesome that you are almost done working in corporate america. i can't wait until my parents find a new receptionist!