Monday, April 7, 2008

You Put the Lime in the Coconut...

Forgive me for being MIA these last few days but I have been busy! One of my best friend's is getting married at the end of June and we threw her a honeymoon-themed bridal shower on Saturday. She is going to Mexico on her honeymoon so we decided to serve Mexican food. It was so much fun but I had a lot of baking/preparing to do the days leading up to it. You should have seen my kitchen on Friday night, it was a mess! I was a mess too, I had icing and coconut all over me. At least I had fun licking my fingers.




For the main food we had: chicken & cheese tacos, jalapeno poppers, tortilla chips, taco dip, tomato salsa, mango salsa, black bean salsa, guacamole, cheese dip, and chex mix.



We had so many desserts and they were all delicious: rice krispie squares, special k bars, fruit pizza, chocolate & vanilla cupcakes, lemon ricotta cookies. As you can tell, all of us girls have a big sweet tooth, which is why there are more sweets than non-sweets.





I made the chocolate covered strawberries, lemon ricotta cookies and...




The Coconut Lime Cake. Amazing. From the moment I saw this cake on the Food Network I knew I had to make it. The cake itself is just lightly flavored with coconut milk. The real flavor comes from the Coconut-yogurt-lime sugar glaze that seeps into the cake and moistens it. YUM! And then the addictive cream cheese frosting. I could not stop licking my fingers. So, so good!

I ended up making both a cake and mini cupcakes because I thought mini cupcakes would be cute. The cake/cupcakes did not disappoint. It was even more delicious the next day. I think because the glaze had even more time to flavor the cake. I was actually nervous that the cake might turn out too sweet, but the yogurt-lime glaze did a nice job in balancing out the sweetness. I made a few modifications to the original recipe but nothing too extreme. If you like coconut, you must make this cake.

Here's a picture of the beautiful bride-to-be in a tissue wedding dress :)

No comments: