Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Pati's Whole Grain Bread


I first tried this bread a month ago at my aunt's house in Madison. She served it as dessert (mostly because she didn't have anything else), but it worked since it's a sweeter bread. I was surprised at how simple and healthful the ingredients were.


Pati's Whole Grain Bread


  • 1 cup whole wheat flour

  • 1 cup wheat germ

  • 1 cup oat bran

  • 1 cup brown sugar

  • 2 tbsp baking powder

  • 1.5 cups milk

  • 0.5 cup water

  • 1 tbsp oil

  • Optional Mix-ins/Toppings: raisins, walnuts, flax seeds, sesame seeds, cranberries, etc

Combine all the ingredients and pour into a loaf pan and bake for about 45 minutes.


I pretty much followed this recipe except for a few things. I only had about 2/3 cup of oat bran left. Also, I used raw sugar, unsweetened vanilla almond milk, and walnut oil. I mixed-in a handful of raisins and sprinkled the top with whole flax seeds.


Based on my modified recipe, I calculated that 1/8 serving has about 330 calories, 6.5 grams of fiber and 8 grams of protein! It is a bit high in calories for a snack but I think it would be great for breakfast. I must say that with all of the fiber and protein, this is definately satsifying. I think next time I will turn the batter into muffins for an easy-to-go snack/breakfast. It does contain a lot of sugar but I don't think it overpowers the bread. It gives it just the right amount of sweetness. However, I want to experiment with variations of this bread. I might try cutting back on the amount of sugar to shave off extra calories.
I had a slice this morning and it hit the spot. Very satisfying.

No comments: