Thursday, April 17, 2008

My Favorite Oatmeal

Ah I spoke too fast yesterday when I said spring was here. Today is cloudy and 50s, but it's better than snow I guess! It was easier for me to get up this morning even though I went to bed late. Somedays I just can't turn off the late night shows. This morning I thought of breakfast and jumped right out of bed. You know you are a foodaholic when it motivates you to wake up!

As much as I love any and all oats, this is currently my favorite breakfast combination: Banana Almond Butter Oats.



Banana Almond Butter Oats
  • 1/2c oats
  • 1/2c water
  • 1/2c milk (I like to use hemp for creamiest results)
  • lots of cinnamon
  • 1/2 banana sliced
  • 1 tbsp wheat germ
  • 1 tbsp raw almond butter
Combine oats, cinnamon, water, milk, and banana. Cook in microwave or stove until nice and creamy. Top with wheat germ and almond buttter and stir until combined. Enjoy with a cup of coffee, tea or whatever you fancy in the morning!

By the way, I will work on my food styling skills and eventually take a much more appealing picture of my oats. Kath always has the most beautiful pictures. But for now, this will have to do.

I didn't bring a lunch today because my fridge is pretty empty and nothing sounded good. So lunch will be a surprise for all of us.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

breakfast is my favourite meal of the day, I love getting up to eat!! And oats are amazing, there is just so much you can do with them so you never get bored. Your combination looks delicious!

Anonymous said...

Ha, i thought i was the only person that got out of bed so that i could eat.

taking pictures of food is hard. I have a pretty nice camera and they still dont turn out very well. I dont post about food very often though, so its ok.

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

I LOVE starting my day with a bowl of banana-nut-butter oatmeal (I switch off between almond-butter and hazelnut-butter) - yum!!

I hope that the weather brightens up where you are!

Anonymous said...

Yum! oatmeal is my favorite breakfast. I have some this morning, actually!

Monica said...

Linds- Breakfast is my favoirte meal of the day too! Even though I usually have the same thing I don't get sick of it. Isn't that funny?

Kelly T- I agree, taking pictures of food is hard!

VeggieGirl- I've never had hazelnut-butter but it sounds amazing! Do you find it at WF?

Anonymous said...

Monica - just found your site from your post. Very cute! How long have you been blogging?
I responded to you on my blog as well, but I thought it was ironic because I have a bunch of friends that now live in the Twin Cities as well! :)

Monica said...

Melissa- I live in the Twin Cities too! I just started blogging a few weeks ago but this week I've actually been blogging more "seriously".

Anonymous said...

Monica - I added you to my blogroll too :)

K, so I'm curious. I'm trying to become a runner. I can only run for a few minutes at a time now but hope to keep upping that. Were you always a runner?

Monica said...

Melissa, I actually HATED running up until a year or so ago. Before I always alternated between running and walking. I could barely run for more than ten minutes. Last summer, I decided to try a program my gym was offering called CardiO2 Run. Basically, it's based on heart rate training. This completely changed my view on running. It was difficult at first, but after 12 weeks I could run 8 miles at once. I am doing the program again because I'm training for Grandma's Half Marathon in Duluth.

One of the most important things I learned through training is that it's okay to take walking breaks so that your body can recover. By allowing your body to recover you'll be able to run longer and faster. Sometimes I forget to allow myself to recover and I discover I fatigue a lot faster.

I'm no expert but I would recommend doing walking/intervals and building up the amount of minutes running. Our workouts change each week, but generally I push hard for 3-5 minutes, and recover from 1-3 minutes. It takes time but eventually you'll build up the endurance and be able to run for longer periods of time.

I hope this helps! And thanks for adding me to your blog!