Monday, April 28, 2008

Mexican Chopped Salad Leftovers and Mixed Berry Yogurt

My morning oats kept me full for almost 5 hours! I debated having my yogurt about two hours ago but decided I really wasn't hungry.

For lunch I had leftovers from last night's Mexican Chopped Salad. It tasted extra delicious today. I'm not sure if this is because I have an appetite today or if the flavors were more intense. I also warmed it up so that might have increased the flavor too. Along with the salad, I had a serving of Kashi crackers and homemade mixed berry yogurt.




Okay, in reality the yogurt is semi-homemade. What I did was mix plain lowfat yogurt with frozen berries. My reason for doing this is simple- I don't really like eating store-bought fruit yogurt. My family doesn't like to eat artificial sugars so we buy the real sugar sweetened yogurts. This is fine, but personally it's too sweet and caloric for my liking. While I don't really like plain yogurt, I find that if I mix fresh or frozen fruit with it, I get the best of both worlds. I usually prepare the yogurt the night before so by the time I eat it the next day, the fruit isn't frozen any more. Of course, fresh fruit tastes better but unfortunately fresh berries still cost a fortune at this time of year in Minnesota.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Monica! I just saw in your updated profile (at least I don't think this was there before) that you're going back to school to become an RD? That is my DREEEAM! Unfortunately I don't know if I'll be able to do it because of time and money....(I'd still have to work FT to make house payments, etc). I am jealous!!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

That's the beauty of oatmeal - it's so satiating!

About your yogurt being "semi-homemade" - Sandra Lee would be proud ;0)

Jill said...

I totally do the same thing for yogurt of the same reason! It's just so nice not to have it suuuuuuper sweet.

Anonymous said...

Great idea with the fruit & yogurt :) Sounds delish!

Monica said...

Veggiegirl- when i wrote "semi-homemade" i was thinking the same thing!

healthy ashley said...

I am loving your blog!

I've become addicted to THIS: Fage w/ cut-up banana and a tad but of strawberry preserves (or mushy strawberries). I try to let it sit in the freezer for a minute for a chill. Mmmmmm!!!